OpenSesame helps develop the world’s most productive and admired workforces. With the most comprehensive catalog of elearning courses from the world’s top publishers, we are here to help you every step of the way, from finding courses, mapping them to your core competencies, syncing them with your LMS to increasing utilization and improving your L&D programs. Not only will you have the flexibility of multiple purchasing options from OpenSesame, you’ll find it simple to use and administer your e-learning courses. To learn more, visit www.opensesame.com/about.
About the Team
Our Catalog & Revenue Engineering Team is responsible for the application that our customers interact with to discover and organize the content most relevant to them. They are responsible for the systems that manage our content catalog, collaborative lists tool, search experience, and marketplace experience. We work closely with our internal and external customers to understand their needs and deliver features and experiences that make their lives easier. The team plays an integral role within OpenSesame as they control the systems that allow us to add and update the content within our marketplace.
About the Job
We are seeking an experienced Engineering Manager who will focus on helping their teams and direct reports achieve operational efficiencies by ensuring teams are delivering with a high level of quality, accuracy and reliability.
“Be able to deliver what you say you can deliver when you commit to it.”
In your first 90 days, you will be ramping up and working with stakeholders to discuss implementation tradeoffs. You will begin to challenge backlogs that don’t address innovation and technical debt.
- Becoming accountable to ensure there is a balance between product and engineering to ensure that features/stories are not overly prescriptive based on stakeholders requirements
- Deliver implementation options to allow stakeholders to make a better, more informed decision on product priorities
- Become primary point of contact for Engineering; Insulate the team from unproductive contact with stakeholders so the team can focus on completing what they have committed to
- Ensure there is a balance for teams agile backlog that is overloaded with features and lacks sufficient capacity to experiment, innovate and more importantly address technical debt
- Ensure teams understand how their work rolls up to the larger company priorities
In 6 months, you will deliver high-quality releases on a defined schedule.
- Ensure teams are reliably executing on their commitments
- Ensure teams are meeting their quality standards
- Be proactive in identifying causes, solutions, mitigation plans to address teams quality and reliability issues.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure that there is commitment cross functionally to address issues
- Ensure that teams have an understanding of code quality and it's trending direction
- Utilize our SCRUM metrics to track your teams' productivity and identify risks
In 12 months, you will be fully driving diverse thinking and problem solving. You will ensure the use of best practices and standards across the team members.
- Foster a culture of “Disagree and Commit” for transparency and collaboration
- Celebrate team wins and share in their losses
- Support team and direct reports through their losses with strong mentorship and empathic accountability
- Ensure that the team’s knowledge doesn’t stagnate; keep an eye out for skill gaps or differences and support a culture where developers are helping each other learn via mentoring, pair programming, discussions, etc.
- Review implementations from a stadium view and identify which best practices and standards may apply to their teams feature work
- Ensure teams understand and utilize best practices to ensure proper dogfooding