Instrument is a digital product and brand experience agency of more than 400 talented people on a dozen different teams, each focused on particular clients and dedicated to producing best-in-class work. Our shift to a remote-first model has only strengthened and diversified our company culture, and we’re committed to career advancement, personal support, and a healthy work/life balance for everyone we hire.
Instrument partners with the world’s most ambitious companies to create transformational change through best-in-class digital products and communications. From day one, we’ve been committed to making this a place where people can make the best work of their career — sustainably. Throughout the year, we frequently utilize freelance support and are always looking to grow our roster of talented Product Designers. If you’re interested in being considered for any current or upcoming freelance opportunities, we would love to hear from you! We are open to a range of experience and skill.
Please note our typical freelance engagements require full time (40 hrs/week) support, Monday - Friday within continental US time zones. Please indicate your typical availability in your application.
What You'll Do
- Deliver elegantly-simple solutions to the right problems — defined by insights and data on web, mobile, or multiple contexts, from digital to physical experiences
- Work on a diverse portfolio of projects that spread across visual design, UX, and UI with smart and collaborative clients
- Lead the creation of unified experiences across the entire customer journey that are contextual, clear, and elegant
- Use storytelling, facilitation, and insights about users to create empathy and guide product teams
- Raise the bar through your design work, facilitation, and client collaboration
- Work on a multi-disciplinary team in a highly collaborative environment with diverse perspectives and expertise
What You'll Bring
- Demonstrated experience shipping multiple high impact, successful digital products
- Strong verbal and visual presentation skills that get across the process, approach, and impact of your design
- Deep understanding of how modern technologies are used with design
- A mind for best practices, paired with a willingness to try something just crazy enough to work
- Experience working within established design systems and continually evolving them to keep up with the ever changing product landscape
- Ability to move quickly to prove out ideas, and a learning mindset
- Strategic problem solving skills and the capacity to distill complex information into meaningful concepts or ideas
- Deep understanding of current industry tools with the ability to adapt to new technologies
- Strong sense of ethics, and responsibility in understanding the way the work we do influences the world around us
- Curiosity, humility, and a passion for doing great work
- The expected pay range for this role is $42 -198 per hour
- Our company has three regional pay bands that it adheres to depending on your location, we reference them as US 1, US 2, and US 3.
- US 3 is our base pay. Examples of cities in US 3 are Portland, Houston and Miami.
- US 2 pay is 7.5% higher than US 3 to meet the market rates. Examples of cities in US 2 are Los Angeles, Chicago and Seattle.
- US 1 pay is 15% higher than US 3 to meet market rates. Examples of cities in US 1 are Brooklyn and San Francisco.
- If you are curious which region you are in, please apply and get connected with our recruiting team!