Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Through Kiva Capital, we serve as a bridge between large scale impact first investors and underserved populations. Our digital identity platform enables borrowers who don’t have a track record with traditional financial institutions to record and verify their financial history and gain access to less costly mainstream financial markets.
Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.66 billion in loan capital for 4.1 million borrowers in 77 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
Kiva is partnering with various governments and United Nations to build a blockchain-based digital identity and credit systems that will unlock financial services for many of the world’s poorest and most underbanked citizens. As a Senior Backend Engineer, you’ll be a foundational member of a team developing back-end technology to help populations across the globe escape poverty.
The ideal candidate takes initiative and is passionate about both our organizational mission and our high standards in engineering. We produce results by giving engineers full ownership and the resources they need to work as efficiently as possible
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Key responsibilities include:
- Use blockchain technology to solve identity challenges and expand financial access in unbanked populations
- Contribute to the support and monitoring of the systems you create
- Implement simplicity-focused solutions for audiences that may have limited exposure to mobile and web-based technologies
- Help foster a spirit of innovation and collaboration both within the engineering team and across the organization
- Juggle a desire to move quickly with a passion for maintainable, well-crafted code
- Raise technical standards while achieving business goals
- 5+ years experience with a modern server-side language (e.g. Java, Go, Typescript)
- Familiarity with blockchain technologies (Hyperledger Fabric/Indy, Ethereum)
- Experience with container based development (Docker/Kubernetes)
- A passion for best practices, fast delivery, and agile methodologies
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical discipline (or equivalent).
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
- Salary range in Colorado: $115K - $140K