At Garmin, we create products that solve complex problems and make people’s lives safer, healthier and more enjoyable. We are looking for a full-time Software Engineer 2 to develop software for our Aviation team in Salem, OR. The software engineer develops moderately complex software, creates and executes designs for small sets of new functionality. May also perform as Lead Software Engineer for small projects or sub projects.
In addition to designing new software and performing maintenance on existing products, engineers test software using debuggers, emulators and simulators; perform software releases and software quality assurance activities; and work collaboratively and professionally with other Garmin associates. Other essential functions include:
- Creates and executes designs for small sets of new functionality as part of a software project
- May perform as a technical leader or Lead Software Engineer for derivative software project
- Collaborates and adds value through participation in peer code reviews, providing comments and suggestions
- Provides reliable solutions to a variety of problems using sound problem solving techniques
- Performs technical root cause analysis and outlines corrective action for given problems
- Serve as a mentor to less experienced software engineers (Software Engineer 1)
- Estimate level of effort, evaluate new options of similar technology, offer suggestions to improve processes, and provide comments on some electrical design aspects
Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Math or Physics or a technical field (such as CIS or IT) from a four-year college or university AND a minimum of one-year relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience with a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher. Other requirements include:
- Must possess a minimum 1 year of work experience
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge and utilization of engineering tools necessary for successful performance of the essential functions of this job description
- Must demonstrate proficiency and possess experience necessary to develop moderately complex software in C.
- Demonstrates mastery of relevant software engineering tools (configuration management systems, build processes, debuggers, emulators, simulators and logic analyzers)
Preferred qualifications include a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher and previous work experience in design, kernel level development OR embedded test development. Experience as a pilot or interest in aviation is a plus!