We’re a friendly team of 70 diverse, world-class experts. Each team member demonstrates our company values while adding positive contributions to our culture. Please review all the information on our culture at this link before applying to find out if it's a place where you can thrive.
Please visit liveplan.com to learn how our business planning and tracking products and training help achieve our mission to help people succeed in business. We believe that when we help one small business owner grow their business, we’re helping an entire community.
Our agile and innovative team of independent thinkers and creative problem-solvers enjoy work-life integration and full, interesting lives. We believe in candor with kindness and work that matters. We are currently working remotely for our health and safety. When it's safe, we plan to spend some targeted days in the office together for brainstorming, collaborating across teams, and developing good working relationships with our teammates. We'll maintain our flexibility of hours and locations to benefit from the best of both worlds. Work is a thing you do, not a place you go, and we understand that 9 to 5 may not be the hours you do your best work. That's ok! Managers at PAS are more focused on achieving objectives than tracking the time and place you work. Some in-person work may be required, and only employees fully vaccinated against COVID-19 are allowed into the office or any company events.
Our location in Eugene supports access to interesting and challenging work in a growing tech scene in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Eugene’s commute times and our drinking water from the McKenzie River Watershed are some of the best in the nation, and homes are more affordable than you’d find in Portland, Seattle, or the Bay Area.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please see our diversity and inclusion statement here.
Benefits we provide:
- Competitive salary
- Health (general and mental healthcare), vision, dental, ortho for you and your family
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Generous paid vacation and holidays
- Paid community volunteer time
- 401(k) with a match
- Relocation reimbursement
- Flexible work schedule and workplace
- Discounted gym membership
- Fun company events
- A diverse and inclusive environment
- Values-based company culture
- Opportunities to serve on "LiveWell" committee, Charitable Fund committee, and much more
About Our Product Team
Small, full-stack squads comprised of Engineers and QA Analysts work alongside our Product Manager, UX Designer, and User Researchers to understand the needs of our customers and collaborate closely through the entire value pipeline—from concept to development to delivery. As we engage the continuous discovery+delivery model, we deliver high-impact solutions to our customers on a regular cadence. Each member of the team is empowered to engage the big picture, bring their ideas to bear on tough problems, and experience the satisfaction of having a palpable impact on the outcomes of the team.
We currently develop our web app using React, TypeScript, Java, Dropwizard, Redis, Postgres, Docker, AWS cloud hosting, and other contemporary technologies. Experience in, or desire and ability to learn this technology is valued.
About this role:
This is a full-time, permanent, exempt position reporting to the Director of Engineering. While we are currently working mostly remotely, we expect to transition to a hybrid working environment with a requirement for some in-person collaboration in our office in Eugene, OR combined with some remote work. Employees are required to have three doses of COVID-19 vaccination to attend any in-person work activities. We value the collaborative brainstorming and team-building that happens in-person, and also value flexibility and work-life balance, and integration.
What Success Looks Like:
- Challenging yourself and your team to meet Palo Alto Software’s core value of excellence—the target is world-class products and world-class teams.
- Internalizing our 3-5 year product vision (what we’re building and why) and our 3-5 year technical vision (how we’re going to execute on and support the product vision).
- Identifying and taking ownership of hard problems, collaborating with the team to discover and validate solutions, and relentlessly executing until the problem is solved.
- Asking for help early and often, and embracing that things rarely go exactly as planned. Preventing small issues from becoming big problems by leaning on the team in support of your efforts.
- Regularly attending LivePlan training, LivePlan bootcamps, and customer calls in order to achieve and maintain an understanding of the LivePlan business planning method our software is built for, as well as maintaining an understanding of who our users are and the problems they need us to help them solve.
- Forming opinions on how effectively the LivePlan app and architecture currently embodies the LivePlan method, thinking about how it could be better, and sharing those opinions and ideas with the team.
- Working to contribute to a safe environment for the team. Bringing your whole self to work, and consistently showing up with kindness. Candidly sharing your thoughts, opinions, and needs.
- Consistently investing time and energy into your professional relationships with teammates so that you can do your best work and take risks together.
- Setting daily and weekly intentions for your work output, reviewing results and making improvements.
Engineers at PAS:
- Collaborate daily and communicate proactively with your squadmates, manager, product manager, and our customers to ensure that the work you’re doing creates value
- Squash bugs
- Plan, build, and maintain features
- Write up tickets and documentation in the course of your daily work - Jira experience a plus
- Participate in team discussions on how we can improve our processes
- Engage in ongoing learning activities to expand knowledge of the product, financial management, language and library features, tools, current trends, and best practices
- Other possible duties:
- Onboard new developers, mentor junior developers, mentor interns, and cross-train team members from other areas of specialty
- Collaborate with stakeholders from other departments to implement tools for customer engagement and usage tracking
What you bring to the job:
- High level of craftsmanship around producing a well-modularized, understandable, and performant codebase
- Curiosity and reflectiveness above all else
- Grit. Once you have identified and engaged a problem, you do not give up easily. You navigate and push through obstacles, and consistently drive to a solution.
- A commitment to continuous improvement
- Top-notch creative problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to embrace and learn new technologies, techniques, and processes
- Excellent interpersonal skills, an appreciation for levity, and an easy ability to collaborate with other developers, UX designers, QA analysts, and more
Education, experience, & skills required:
- Experience developing customer-facing apps, preferably in a SaaS environment
- Awareness of the fundamentals of web application security
Education, experience & skills preferred:
Proficiency in one or more of the technologies in our stack: