We're looking for a hands-on experienced Software Engineering Manager who has a passion for delivering world-class products to support both our direct customers, as well as our internal team of receptionists and chat specialists. The Software Engineering Manager is responsible for the predictable delivery of high-quality software by a cross-functional team. The ideal candidate has a unique balance of technical expertise, leadership and management skills, as well as a passion for building great teams.
The Software Engineering Manager will report to the Director of Engineering. This position can be remote with the option of working in our in offices in the Portland, OR or Kansas City, MO metro area, or fully remote (state-dependent).
What You’ll Be Accountable For
- Leading a cross-functional team and its members as their direct line manager, and guiding the daily, predictable delivery and enhancements of products and features
- Mentoring and professionally developing team members
- Continuously improving team development practices and overall product quality
- Focusing strongly on getting the team to work together as a cohesive unit
- Ensuring processes, best practices and technical strategies are carried out
- Working directly with your team’sProduct Manager and Technical Lead by helping with the facilitation of daily standups, sprint planning sessions, retrospective meetings and additionally backlog refinement sessions
- Identifying risks, proactively escalating and proposing mitigation strategies
- Creating and sustaining strong partnerships with your cross-functional team’s ProductManager, as well as other Product Managers
- Conducting performance reviews and other line management tasks
- Ensuring code meets functional requirements and quality standards
- Ensuring the team delivers required functionality in the timeframe they estimated
- Other duties as required by the company
Key Success Indicators
- You are proud of the work youdo and want to work for a company that shares your values
- Youare collaborative and have a reputation for doing what you say you’ll do
- Others would point to you as someone they’d love to work with, andyour innovative solutions inspire us all to do great work
- You can extract big-picture ideas into workable processes and functional design
- You jump at the opportunity to pitch in and feed the greater good; nojob is too big or small when you can lend a helping hand
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment
- Ability to context-switch frequently and efficiently address issues as they arise
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject, or combination of equivalent experience
- 8+ years of hands-on development experience with4+ years in a leadership position
- Proven experience managing a software engineering team
- Proven experience successfully delivering software projects
- Expertise in an agile development
- Strong understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Experience with automated testing frameworks and concepts
- Experience with micro-service or service-oriented architectures
- Understanding of virtualization and containers (Docker)
- Strong understandingof RESTful principles
- Expertise with source control (git)
- Understanding of the AWS stack
- Strong understanding of Development Operations and Quality Assurance
- Familiarity with Target Process, Notionand similar tools
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Practical experience with multiple languages, frameworks and paradigms
Work takes place in an open office setting. It requires the ability to sit/stand and work at a computer for extended periods of time and communicate effectively with a diverse audience in person, by phone and by computer. This position may travel between office sites occasionally.
Ruby participates in e-Verify where mandated by state or federal law, such as AZ. Feel free to ask us about this if you have any questions.
Ruby is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. We support and encourage diversity!
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the US. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of work visas at this time.