We started with just one home and an idea: to bring homeowners and renters together with smart technology and caring local teams. Today, we’re the largest full-service vacation rental company in North America thanks to the people who give us their best every day. You’ll fit right in here if you’re curious, entrepreneurial, and thrive in a rapid-growth environment.
Why Data Science at Vacasa
We apply complex theories to real-world problems, designing data-driven systems to make the business-critical decisions humans aren’t capable of. Our close-knit team lives for experimentation, celebrates when we find the answer, and learns together if it’s different than we predicted.
What we're looking for
A seasoned data scientist with intelligence, creativity, humility, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, hyper-growth environment. You like to understand problems, gain intuition from data, and develop algorithms and models to solve these problems. You believe education doesn’t end after graduation and enjoy the continual learning process. You are able to write clean code and generate visualizations to communicate your ideas to other data scientists, stakeholders, and machine learning engineers.
What you'll do
As a senior data scientist at Vacasa, you will be on the front-lines of our efforts to use data science and machine learning to capitalize on multi-million dollar business opportunities. You’ll use large and complex datasets of first and third-party data to achieve your goals. This is a great role for a strong individual contributor looking to make a jump to a senior position taking ownership of projects, collaborating with other senior data scientists, and mentoring junior data scientists. You’ll interact with internal stakeholders to identify problems, design solutions, and deliver results.
Vacasa is at the sweet spot for machine learning and AI in that we have 1) lots of data (from our 25,000 homes as well as our channel partners and our own guest app and website), 2) problems that require smart software algorithms (pricing 25,000 homes, sending email recommendations to 1 million guests, etc.), and the 3) growth that demands we invest in methods to use 1 to solve 2, and do it quickly.
What you'll need
- At least 3 years of combined data science and engineering experience. A graduate degree can substitute for experience
- Intermediate to Expert-level SQL
- Strong python experience
- Expert-level knowledge of data science libraries such as pandas, numpy, tensor-flow / keras or pytorch, scikit-learn, plotly (or equivalent)
- Strong familiarity with a gamut of data science and machine learning approaches, including neural networks, random forest and GBTs, KNNs, k-means clustering, various types of regressions, and Bayesian techniques
- Ability to function in a “big data” environment including an intermediate to expert knowledge of Spark or the ability and interest to quickly learn it on-the-job
- Familiarity with AWS ecosystem and tools such as Glue, SageMaker, Athena, Lambda, Step Functions, and Fargate is a plus
- Familiarity with Docker or other container systems is a plus
- Reliable internet service
Ability to work from home and resides in one of the followings states: AK, AL, AZ, CA, CO DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MO, MT, NC, NH, NM, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, or WY
You’ll be working in your home office setting. We hold virtual training sessions and weekly team meeting. Occasional offsite team meetings in your region or our HQ locations. Requires frequent, repetitive use of a computer, phone, and office equipment. Requires patient, professional communication with prospective clients, and the ability to build confidence with prospects.
What you’ll get
- Health/dental/vision insurance - employee & family coverage options
- Employer Sponsored & Voluntary Supplemental Benefits
- 401K retirement savings plan with immediate 100% company match on the first 6% you contribute
- Health & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Flexible vacation time
- Paid sick days and holidays
- Paid parental leave after one year of tenure
- Employee Assistance Program
- Career advancement opportunities
- Employee discounts
- All the equipment you’ll need to be successful
- Great colleagues and culture
- Please visit our careers page to review our full benefits offerings