To learn the Hiring Ranges for this position, please select your location from the Apply Now dropdown menu.
To learn more about our Hiring Range System, please click this link.
We’re looking for a passionate, driven, and experienced backend engineer to help us deliver world-class applications across the Pocket product line.
At Pocket, we are focused on connecting people to the power, possibility & magic of the web. Our apps and platform are essential ways that over 100M people discover and consume content on the web.
Are you excited about the role of content to enrich users’ lives? Do you want to build software for a massive audience? We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help make this happen. Our Backend team builds the Pocket experience behind the scenes to provide our client engineers with the APIs and infrastructure they need. We’re looking for a leader that is passionate about building scalable and modular systems, mentoring fellow engineers, contributing to product roadmaps, finding innovative solutions to challenging problems, and shipping quality code.
Pocket is a part of the Mozilla Corporation. We are committed to an internet that elevates critical thinking, reasoned argument, shared knowledge, and verifiable facts. As our Staff Software Engineer, you’ll be responsible for helping ensure our ability to support high-quality content on the web. This role is fundamental to Pocket’s success.
Come work with us and make a huge impact on advancing high-quality content on the web.
What you’ll do:
- Own significant pieces of our architecture that power experiences in Firefox and Pocket application and web surfaces. These surfaces engage millions of users every day and hundreds of developers build applications upon.
- Develop reusable patterns and practices for deploying systems at scale on cloud platforms.
- Deliver new features to our users by developing and enhancing our APIs.
- Partner with product owners, lead projects, collaborate with peers, mentor other engineers, and share progress with the greater organization.
- Develop product and development roadmaps while considering technical risks and business needs.
- Identify gaps and opportunities for improvement to enable a culture of inclusion.
- Prioritize competing work streams and requests.
- Advise greater organization roadmap based on platform and technical needs.
What you already have:
- A B.S. in Computer Science would be lovely, but real-world experience is preferred.
- Standards for quality and performance by performing code reviews, fixing bugs, creating tests, and shaping maintainable systems.
- Experience in a type-safe language; Typescript a plus.
- Experience working with product partners to develop roadmaps.
- Experience developing repeatable patterns and modular systems.
- Experience leading projects from requirements to delivery.
- Mentorship experience.
- Strong communication skills and an ability to approach problems in a structured way and distill complex issues into actionable insights.
- At least 7+ years professional experience. Experience scaling a platform to handle millions of users a plus. Consumer-facing products experience a plus.
- Direct experience with infrastructure technologies such as: AWS, GCP, Terraform, Cloudformation, AWS/Terraform Cloud Development Kit, and/or Docker.