Who We Are
At nLIGHT, we are constantly on the cutting-edge of laser technology in a massively growing market. We are a leading provider of high-power semiconductors and fiber lasers for industrial, microfabrication, and aerospace & defense applications, to name a few. Our lasers are changing not only the way things are made, but also changing the things that can be made.
Headquartered in Camas, Washington, nLIGHT is a publicly listed company (NASDAQ: LASR).
The nLIGHT Technical Support Engineer plays a key role in the success of our products. Responsibilities include working with Engineering on product design and improvement, developing training and support documentation and procedures, training FSEs, and diagnosing and resolving escalated field failures. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and enjoy working with and training Customers, Field Support Engineers (FSEs), Manufacturing engineers and technicians and Engineering experts.
Success will be measured in three dimensions: reduction in down-time of fielded laser products, improvements in training programs, and improvements in the serviceability of new products.
Worldwide travel is required.
- Reporting to Technical Support Management, act as second line of defense after the Field Service team in troubleshooting customer equipment and process issues.
- Work to achieve the fastest possible resolution to fielded product failures.
- Provide technical support via phone and internet to nLIGHT FSEs, Service Partners and Customers
- Develop and deliver maintenance and repair training to nLIGHT FSEs, service partners and Customer Technicians worldwide.
- Working with Engineering and Manufacturing, define, document, and deliver installation and diagnostic procedures to FSEs.
- Participate in product development meetings to give Design for Service feedback to the Engineering team and prepare Field Service for new product support during product launches.
- Gather and analyze product reliability data to identify design and process changes that will improve product reliability and serviceability.
- Demonstrate an unwavering dedication to safety of yourself and all of those around you.
- Five years of professional work experience in a field service or technical support role servicing capital equipment in the manufacturing industry.
- BS degree in a technical or engineering discipline is required. Advanced degrees and/or degrees in photonics are preferred.
- Experience in product development, assembly, and test of components, sub-systems, fibers, and precision optical/electro-mechanical assemblies.
- Meticulous attention to detail, highly organized and self-motivated.
- Strong record of problem solving, implementing robust processes and systems.
- Superior customer management and satisfaction skills.
- Valid driver’s license and passport or the ability to get one.
- Ability to splice optical fibers.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- International and domestic travel will be required to deliver in-person training or escalation support, estimated to be no more than 30% time per calendar quarter.
nLIGHT is proud to offer comprehensive COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary level is based on qualifications:
- Technical Support Engineer II: $80,000 - $93,000 annually
- Senior Technical Support Engineer III: $90,000 - $115,000 annually
Other Compensation and Benefits
- Target Cash Bonus of 5% of your wages [,depending on level]
- Eligible for Restricted Stock Unit grants
- 3 weeks of Paid Time Off per year, increasing by 1 day each year up to 4 weeks
- 9 paid Holidays
- Eligible for health benefits on the 1st day of the month after your start date
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits, including prescription and orthodontia with employee-paid premiums as low as $37.00 per pay period
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 401(k) with company match and immediate vesting
- Company paid Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, and Life & AD&D Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Aflac Supplemental Insurance
- Paid Bereavement Leave and Jury Duty
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Pet Insurance
nLIGHT is subject to US Export Control regulations. To qualify for this position, a Foreign Person (that is, not a US Citizen or legal Permanent Resident) must be eligible for a deemed export license under the US Department of Commerce and/or the US Department of State.