What We’re Looking For
The Data Engineer will work as a part of the Cloud Engineering team to support both internal and external customers. The Data Engineer will be responsible for external client interactions pertaining to the design, build and optimization of their data systems. Additionally, the Data Engineer will be responsible for executing on the designs and data environments for Atmosera clients as well as be an escalation point for staff DBAs. Finally, the data engineer will the opportunity to be a part of designing our products and services around advanced data engineering as well as serve as a key member driving our, and our clients, data strategy.
Successful candidates will have experience in several different operational models, processes, procedures, and organizational structures and be able to accurately estimate level of effort in data design and implementation. Competency in a high-level programming language, ideally C#, is required as development of tools and/or other support infrastructure will be necessary. DBA skills centered around MS-SQL stack are critical, but the ability to work with open source SQL and/or NOSQL software stacks (i.e. CosmosDB) is also desireable. Additionally, knowledge of data lake and warehousing is important. The candidate will also have a passion for full-stack application development and a knack for identifying, articulating, and resolving issues with applications as they intersect with data elements.
What You’ll Do
Dedicated Managed Customer Solutions:
- Partner with senior executives on customer opportunities to gather customer requirements, develop designs and present potential data, DBAaaS (Database Administrator as a Service), DBaaS (Database as a Service) solutions.
- Provide expert technical consulting to internal teams and customers; serve as a technical contact to outside vendors as required. Provide training to Atmosera personnel as required.
- Participate in a walkthrough of deliverable data and application components. Provide appropriate feedback to ensure the technical quality of the application or system. Provide technical solutions to design, program, and process issues.
- Research, evaluate and recommend the use of new products and services to support customer applications and system software. Coordinate and participate in the implementation of new support and system software and ensure compliance with Atmosera standards and processes where they exist or are defined.
Development and Support of data design and DBs:
- Define and maintain all design documentation on Internal and External (customer) DBs and data pipleines including schema design, HA, backup, and replication.
- Ad-hoc break/fix escalation support for data designs and DBs which may include on-call and after-hours support.
- Development of proposals for data design and application refactoring for clients in cases of performance issues or modernization initiatives.
Development, Support and Troubleshooting of tools and applications:
- Define and maintain a clear scope on project assignments, including coordinating resolution of technical practices and issues with all levels of management, including executive management.
- Prepare and present periodic progress or status reports on project and/or work assignments, including keeping project stakeholders informed of significant issues that may impact assignment completion as early as possible.
- Participate in project budget and work assignment preparation by assessing complex requirements, completing cost estimates, and outlining proposed expenditures.
- Plan, prepare, participate, and facilitate work sessions such as meetings, brainstorming, requirements gathering, application design & modeling sessions. Ensure that applicable documentation is complete, accepted, and that all participants are actively involved.
- Gain, maintain and apply effective technical, functional, and interpersonal management techniques.
- Keep abreast of industry hardware/software technology and software development and support techniques in order to improve internal processes and application efficiency. Participate in the research of the feasibility of new technologies and leveraging uses for current technologies.
- Direct or perform the life-cycle activities of projects to ensure the accurate, timely and cost-effective implementation of specific systems. Ensure appropriate mechanisms exist for resolving issues, setting technical and design directions.
- Participate in Agile SCRUM or Kanban planning, standups, and retrospectives. Estimating work, tracking progress, and implementing continuous improvement through retrospectives.
The Skills You’ll Need
- Expertise in Microsoft data products
- Experience in Azure PaaS SQL services including Azure Data Warehouse as well as Azure Data Lake.
- Experience with BI tools such as Dynamics.
- Experience with data visualization technologies such as PowerBI and SSIS.
- Experience in designing, building and maintaining large scale MS-SQL geographically diverse HA clusters.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; including documentation and presentations.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; including tracking of billable hours.
- Ability to perform well in a dynamic environment while maintaining schedules.
- Ability to generate presentation materials suited to many different audiences, i.e. end users, TACC, NOC, Executives, etc.
- Require limited supervision and direction while driving results and managing priorities independently.
- Experience with non MS-SQL SQL products.
- Prior tools development in C# and the ability to program in other languages like: Python, Django, etc.